Thursday, April 3, 2008

Humble Beginnings

My friend, J Mil, once told me that if I were to blog, I could become a web superstar. Somehow I seriously doubt it, but hey J Mil, this Blog 's for you! It is a small price to pay for forgiveness since I bought his wife (my best friend and fellow tribal belly dance student) zils (finger cymbals) for her birthday. But that's not what this blog is about so, please read on.

I recently learned through a social-media seminar that was given by Blog Guru, Geoff Livingston, that Fort Worth, Texas has " an immature blog community". What Livingston meant was that there aren't a plethora of people blogging about Fort Worth yet, which means that new bloggers (like myself) have many opportunities... of course naturally I took it to mean that Fort Worth needed some immature bloggers and I am always willing to fulfill a niche, so " hello!".

First I would like to say that Fort Worth is an amazing little-big city. In fact, the locals often refer to it as an " incestuous little city", which has less to do with "loving our brothers" and more to do with the fact that you can't pop by Fred's on a Saturday night without seeing five people you know and at least 10 people you "know of". Plus, you have to watch what you say in this town because everybody knows everybody else and that is a strange quality for a town that has a population of 500,000+. Of course everyone knows everyone else because this is the most "volunteer-oriented" city I have ever lived/worked in.

If you truly want to experience the greatness of Fort Worth, you have to get involved. Attend the Chamber of Commerce events. You will meet the most interesting people. A few weeks ago I attended a Women in Business event at Stonegate Mansion (the legendary former house of , Cullen Davis) and I met a girl named Tracy who has a incredible business concept. She was trying to plan a birthday party with her daughter one day and her daughter said to her, "Mom, why don't we just cook?" Which lead Tracy to create a business called " Kids Love to Cook". Tracy takes care of the invitations for your child's party, the party favors, the food, the kitchen cleanup and turns your child into the head chef of his or her own party for a song. She has a patent pending folks so don't even try to steal her idea. But Tracy is a genius and she is only one of the many remarkable people I have met since I matriculated from TCU after growing up near " that other big city to the east".

I also recently learned about a cool new restaurant in town, Ronin Sushi, where you can order cool fusion sushi and watch a rogue-ish samurai art film at the same time. In fact, it seemed like the perfect atmosphere to fuse the two special interest groups I manage at Fort Worth Sister Cities; Foodies and Filmies, and since it was Japanese culture and right around the time of Golden Week, we have a nice little pair up with the Nagaoka committee as well!

So, that is a little about me and little about the cool stuff I have uncovered recently in Cowtown. Look to this blog occasionally to discover what I think is cool and you just might find something you think is cool too.







1 comment:

Unknown said...

very nice. looking forward to what's next